Wednesday, February 9, 2011

mon petit monde

I'm playing with the idea of starting a new blog. I'm pretty sure that would take my blog total up close to a billion unmaintained blogs. But hell, my world is small, and getting smaller every day.

For example: in September 2007 I signed into okcupid and saw a profile that captured my attention. Even though the girl lived over a thousand miles north of Tucson, we struck up an intense correspondence. It wasn't long before we discovered that we used to live across the parking lot from each other in Murfreesboro, TN. Eventually she came to stay with me in Tucson, and the day she departed I got an email from someone else in Tucson who, it turned out, had also come from Murfreesboro, and in fact also lived across the same parking lot from me & Leslie.

And at a show last night, back in Tucson after so many years, I met someone else from Murfreesboro. She even knew people I know.

But sometimes other connections can be even more interesting. Like in dreams.

Yesterday morning I got an IM from my friend Linnaea, saying she'd been thinking of me. In october, she had a dream about me that led her to contact me. The resulting conversation played a huge role on me rejoining the Long Road.

And while I was at the Murder by Death show last night, my friend Marc was asleep and dreaming:
By and by, I'm not sure exactly why, but I just woke up from accidentally falling asleep and had an amazingly lucid dream of us traveling together. You handed me a homemade friendship bracelet someone else had given you from someone we had apparently met before, and said they had sent it to us to show their life had improved from knowing us. Crazy.

He later described the dream in greater detail:
We were sitting on benches, almost like bleachers but not in any kind of stadium, with you two rows up, but not really that far away, just so that you were behind and slightly higher up than I, and we were on a ship, sailing away.
The size of a yacht, but something older, more character than a modern ship
And after the exchange I mentioned on FB where you gave me the bracelet, I turned back and was looking at what in the dream seemed to be the city of Seattle, wondering if I had left anything in my apt…like I really just sort of took off on impulse. I came to the conclusion that I should trust myself and believe that anything I really needed, I already had on me.
that's sort of where it ended.
What's weird is that the bracelet was something from someone you and I had helped together, a thank you gift.

Oddly enough, the thought in my head is that this person was a prostitute and we had somehow helped her with her life to the point where she didn't need to be anymore.
Thanks man…like i said, it was pretty fucking powerful.


Meanwhile, here I am in Tucson, staying with Leslie and her husband Charles, who share some of my interests in home and community. And while Charles and I are making supper, I get an email from Stephani, a friend from high-school, telling me she's going to be living in a yurt on an organic farm in Tennessee come the spring. And another Stefani, who lives in Tucson, and whom I met on a train two months ago, posted something on my facebook wall about Tennessee farmers who get paid for generating energy on their property.

I'm not sure if stories like this happen all the time, and I'm just superstitious enough to obsess over them, or if I just have a knack for attracting weird stuff, but either way it's frequent enough to have hundreds of stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment